Monday, February 22, 2010

Pets, Pets and More Pets







My son wanted to have an early dinner before the sun comes down. So, I grab some cash to buy something to cook for him at the market which is a couple of meters away from our village. When I went back home, I heard little voices arguing about something they just found. The voices came from the opposite side of the road. I saw four little girls of about 7-9 year olds. One of them is riding a bike but was just following the others by slowly pedalling it. Afterwards, I noticed that the other girl had a small pink sling bag. It was opened and I was surprised to discover that what was inside in it is a kitten, an orange, chubby tabby kitten about a week old. Then, I realized that all the while, the girls were arguing on who among them is going to adopt the kitten. They found it at the park in our village as what I overheard on their conversation.

I remember that I still have to do something so, I just continued walking but I was laughing on my mind. It feels nostalgic as I said to myself because I cannot help but recall the same scenario when I was at their age. It refreshes a lot of memories in my childhood years. Those times when my family’s life was so simple then. We were living with tamed and untamed animals. I grew up loving the pets especially cats. As a little girl or even during my teenage years, there were times that I picked up stray cats and kittens along the road as I’m heading for home from school. I don’t mind touching dirty ragged poor animals along the streets. I would gently comfort them so that I could eventually bring them home. My mother was my biggest influence on that. She also loves animals. Our house was once like a zoo. A variety of creatures were there such as martinis birds, cats, dogs, chickens, pigs, guinea pigs, rabbits, roosters, monkey, and not to mention, the turtles. My brother also tried to tame fruit bats since he likes exotic animals.

Now, I understand how these experiences had taught me to be compassionate towards animals even at an early age. It helped me develop a positive regard towards pets. Pets just simply make me happy from the daily stressors or shortcomings. They don't fail to put a smile on my face, a smile generator as I would say.

Pets are like a family to me. It was never an instant that we dont have animals in our backyard. There's always a place for cats around, meowing or for dogs, barking. It is quite silly for others who doesn't like animals. They might even take it as odd but as for me, it is something that I can't live without just like a family member does.

No comments:

Post a Comment